Wednesday, February 7, 2007

When it rains, it pours!

My entire life I have been blessed with a healthy family. My parents have been very lucky in regards to having a pill free life. I have friends of mine whose parents have been on all kinds of meds for a very long time and with my father turing 75 and mother heading to 70 in April, the only thing they take is the occasional asprin.
Well, early Novemeber, Dad finds a lump in his neck. This starts a string of appointments with doctors and biopsies and the never ending re-checks. We just got the diagnosis that he has lymphoma. What a complete drag! Now he has to get more test to determine what sort of Chemo he will have to get. I never thought I could feel sorry for my father, him being strong and kept us together but I do. I see him now as someone so small and in need of a boat load of help. BUT!!! If that is not bad enough...my mother has two "bad" mammograms...so off to get a biopsy for her. Now we wait on the results for her. I never in a million years ever thought that I could face the possibilities of caring for two ill parents. I am thankful for my large family. My siblings are around all the time but I fear that they see them weak and small too. Pity is not what they need, I guess it is strength.

2 comments:

Mama of 2 said...

My mother is a breast cancer survivor of 14 years now and while the initial shock of her diagnois really floored me -- I was young just 23 and honestly I didn't take it that well and have many regrets on how I handled myself and her illness.
So my best advice for you while you are going through this...is love them, do all you can for them and with them so that when it's all said and done you won't have regrets.

Good luck to both you and them and please let us know how things are progressing. Both of your parents are in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin said...

What a lot of stress for all of you. I know how much Kara and I worry about my mom with just her high blood pressure and stuff so I can't even imagine what you are going through.

I know it sucks to always be strong but it will be helpful to your parents if you keep a level head and don't panic. Well,don't panic on the outside....lol.

You definitely didn't need this added stuff on top of TC going away but I've found out,life is never easy. I'm ready for an easy life,though. How about you?????

Hang in there. Call me if you want to chat or vent.