Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A higher power

Science or a Higher Power?

My dad was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma this past winter. His once massive structure has become that of a small, 74 year old man with "chicken skin" under his arms. His frame is so petite it is scary.
It was a stage 4 cancer, which I guess is a tough fight. However, he accepted the terms and entered the world of an oncology patient with grace. His chemotherapy has been a rough road but compared to some, a breeze. But seeing a loved one ill and weak is no easy sight.

I learned a lot about my parents and siblings through all of this. I see how a family of 6 can break up, get closer and be honest. I see that my father is not as strong mentally as I thought he was. I had him on a pedestal forever...well, my mother is the one that is a rock. Her physical strength at 70 is amazing. Her need to keep him clean, fed and healthy has been cool to see.

My parents just celebrated there 50Th wedding anniversary in May. 50 years!! I asked her in a joking way how can she love the same person for that long of a time....she said, it evolved into a different kind of love. A true unconditional love. Pure and at times complicated.

I hope my marriage will survive the ups and the downs like theirs does. I wonder if I have the patience that my mother has?? One shall see.

The strength my mother has given to my father makes me question the presence of a higher power? Why?

The latest test results indicated that the cancer is in remission. Wow, we thought, that was fast. I attribute it to the technology and the chemo recipes that have been administrated to my father. But my mother said, it is because they lead a clean life and have faith.

Now I question it....

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

hang on- you question their faith or the possibility that their faith aided in your dad's remission?
i think its wonderful!

Robin said...

How can you question the belief in a higher power. Look what happened to Jill not too long ago. She was given a 20% chance to live and her faith and those who prayed for her must've worked because she is still here.

The will to live is a wonderful thing too. Once you give up,there is nothing to live for.

Your family sounds like they are very strong. You just have to take things one day at a time and always have faith.