Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The desire to read

Trent is my sweetheart. Smart, funny and totally cute.
Lately, he has been going around and pronouncing words and telling me what letter they begin with. I asked him if he would like to read. He informed me that he knows how to read already. I had to bust his bubble and tell him that memorizing his story word for word is not reading....it is memorizing.
His face had many looks just then...confusion, doubt and disappointment.

I could not stand to see him like that so, I bravely told him that "Mom is going to teach you how to read!" Well, the happy face came back and was thrilled to learn that he would be the only one in his K1 class to be able to read.

As I turned the lights off and tried to drift off to sleep, I was haunted by the thought of me not being able to teach him how to read....not that he would not be able to do it but I have NO IDEA HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!!

Flick goes the lights and I take my hot pink pj's with lipsticks and lips all over them and jump on the computer and I do a Google search on "How to teach a child to read". It took me forever to get through the lists of what to do, what not to do and what books I had to purchase in order to teach my very eager boy how to read.

The suggestions were from people who home school their children and they already have the supplies and the time slotted for this stuff. I was trying to make this fun and do it at his pace...and he is only 4.

Off goes the lights and I get some sleep.

The next morning I get him to school and I ask his teacher if it is a good idea or will it set him back, blah, blah....she said it would be great if he has an interest and not to force it. I asked her professional advice and she told me that she would consult the K2 teacher.

I am grateful for the teachers who really do care and I am happy I made the choice to send him to this school. I will wait for the advice from the teacher and I will use his chalk board in his bedroom to do some simple phonics and make it fun. But if anyone who has any advice or experience with this...I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'll check with Lillianna if she still has her Reader Rabbit CD. She learned to read at 3 with that thing and it's so much fun and all YOU have to do is supervise! It's great!!!! You can have it if we still have it. I'll give it to my mom this week and she can leave it at Kara's. You do have a computer at home,right?????