Thursday, April 19, 2007

There is never a simple explanation to violence.

Growing up in the city, hearing about shootings and robberies were something that happened to other people. I am very thankful that I have not been a victim of violence. However, it is still around me.

I don't like to watch the television much less the news in front of Trent. I am trying to shelter him from any unnecessary visions of violence. But the last few days, with the rain and all, I have had to watch some TV, while in the kitchen or cleaning up the bedroom. On the news I had to hear about the awful tragedy in Virginia. No family should ever get that dreaded call that something happened to a loved one. No one!!!!

Trent hears the word guns and weapons and thinks that it is cool. I guess you could blame me and TC because I have many pictures around the house of TC in uniform over in Iraq and of course he is holding weapons...it was part of his everyday gear over there. So what little boy does not want to be like his daddy!. So seeing daddy with guns, Trent wants them too.

Over time Trent has acquired his collection of Army guys (the little plastic ones that if you step on them you need to be rushed to the ER for emergency foot surgery...ya those ones!)
and some squirt guns and now lately he wants to be in the army. TC and Trent took a drive to KayB toys and bought a GI Joe collection. It has the uniform, compass, fake grenades and of course the guns. I hate them but I get the...Oh he is a boy, he should play with boy things.

I liked it when he loved sharks and the ocean stuff. That was safe...

I just don't want my little boy to grow up like me and think that violence only happens in other neighborhoods. We don't' live in that world anymore and to be honest it scares me. I want him to know that there are bad people in the world and guns are bad. So now when he plays with his GI Joe stuff, I tell him that his stuff is fake and if he wants to have a gun when he grows up he will join the Army or become a police officer...after college. I am slowly trying to transition him into something else...I am sure one by one those dreaded toy guns will find there way into the trash and I will replace it with something else that is boy related...Bugs! That is a good one!!

After a comment I got one day from someone, which was off the mark and highly aggravating. I thought I had a crafty response:

Woman: Oh, you are pregnant?
Me: Yes, this is #2 and it is a boy!
Woman: I never would want kids in this day and age with all the crazy stuff going on. Why would I want to bring an innocent child here!.
Me: Well, all children start out innocent and it starts in the home.
Woman: I guess.
Me: Also, maybe one of my boys will the one person that can change the world for the better. And I have the confidence that I could be raising or carrying the next president that could end violence forever.
HAHAHA pie in your face lady!!!!!! Kiss it!!!

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

heh heh, a very clever retort indeed!
as for the guns... thankfully damien has never been into them, but i am amazed at how much of that lunatics footage and pictures they're shwoing on the news!

Robin said...

To the woman,I would've said,"Too bad your parents brought you into the world. They must be disappointed they raised such a bitch!"

As for the guns.....if Trent is really interested,talk to Rich about teaching him to wargame with figures. Rich doesn't game often but even Lillianna has gamed with him. Next time we're together I'll try to remember to have Rich explain it to you.

Trent loves his daddy. He is going to copy him no matter what. Trent is also a loved and intelligent child. He's not going to be a gang banger or a terrorist. If he is fascinated with guns,see if there are any books about guns in the library. He just wants to learn.

If Trent becomes a killer in his older years,I will have a sex change operation and become a man!
So you see,I'm pretty convinced that our sweetie pie Trent will turn out to be a fine upstanding young man!